Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Building a Church; Building a Ward

Hello Dear Reader,
At the ground breaking ceremony Bishop Le Grande Richards explained the building program as it then functioned in the church. The cost of the new building would be about $170,000--a tremendous amount in 1951 equal to $1,394,439 in 2008. The Church would pay 70% of the cost but it would be up to the local members to come up with the other 30% or the equivalent of $418,331.70 in 2008. In order to meet the local share ward members could contirbute labor for which they would be credited.

As the construction progressed ward members caught the spirit of the program and turned out in large numbers to dig trenches, pour concrete, do carpentryy work, assist the masonry contractors, and so on. Men, women, and children contributed their time and talents toward building the new church.
Love,
Aunt Genni

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I love that church, I was so happy to be able to have my wedding reception there!

GRANDMA MUFFIN said...

My happy wedding reception was there too.

-- I can remember picking up rocks and watching my dad, Evan A. Billings, push the wheelbarrow to haul dirt from those trenches. Everyone worked so hard.

I was very young, but I remember a fundraiser because it really upset me: My dad stuck his head in a hole and people paid to throw eggs at him. I thought they were terribly mean, but daddy said it was all in good fun for a good cause.