Thursday, January 29, 2009

Biscuits

Hello Dear Reader,
Since I told you the biscuit story yesterday, I thought you might like a biscuit recipe from the 1800s. Be sure not to handle the dough any more than is necessary. Here it is:

One quart of flour sifted two or three times, two heaping teaspoonfuls of baking powder, a pinch of salt and one tablespoonful of lard [or butter] mixed thoroughly with a little flour. Then pour in one-half pint of cream or cream and water; do not knead much but roll out on a board; double the dough [fold in half] and roll again, repeating this once or twice. Do not touch the hands to it any more than necessary. Cut into biscuits; make them touch each other in the pan. You will have delicious biscuits with very little trouble.

This recipe is from Pioneer Recipes & Remedies published by Daughters of Utah Pioneers; they got it from Down East Recipes Dating From 1664 by Maine Coastal Cooking. If you want to taste what the pioneers ate, I guess you could leave out the baking powder--but I wouldn't recommend it. I suggest that you work in the lard with the tips of your fingers or cut it into the flour in with two knives or a pastry cutter. Roll about 1/2 inch thick. Bake in a quick (400) oven 10 or 12 minutes.
Love,
Aunt Genni

1 comment:

Jill said...

I really love biscuits. They are usually quick and delicious. I will have to give this recipe a try.