Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nursery Rhymes

Hello Dear Reader,
As a child I knew lots of nursery rhymes. Our family sang them, recited them, and played games with them. Starting around 1984, I began collecting these rhymes hoping to put them in a book some day. Here’s an unfamiliar one I discovered recently when I transcribed a tape made by Grandma (Caroline Ferguson) Hall for Uncle Norley:

Jingle, jingle jag, a copper down a crag,
Twenty men and all their wives,
With picks and sticks and pocket knives,
Digging for their very lives
To get the copper back.

I guess all of you know that in England a “copper” is a penny.

If you’ll write this poem in your family’s nursery rhyme book and read it to your children when you read them their book, you’ll be able to tell them that this is a nursery rhyme their great-great-grandmother Hall used to tell to her kids.
Love,
Aunt Genni

1 comment:

Jill said...

I've never heard this one before but I like it.I've committed it to memory already.