Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Season

Hello Dear Reader,
When I think of Christmas I always think of family. Grandpa (Wes) and Grandma (Mary) Carter made Christmas really fun for us children. I think I already described what our Christmas trees were like back then but the tree was just the beginning of a wonderful time of the year.

One year I asked for a table, a set of play dishes, and a cowgirl outfit for my doll. Grandpa built me a table with drop leaves and Grandma made me a new outfit for my doll. I treasured these gifts from Santa. I also got the set of dishes I asked for. They were tin and painted in the "Blue Willow" pattern. I loved them.

We always hung our stockings on the arm of a chair on Christmas eve. We didn't have a fireplace. The girls definitely had the advantage back then because we wore long brown stockings that we attached to our undershirts with garters. On Christmas morning our stockings had an orange in the toe, nuts, and candy (those cheap chocolate drops that my children hated) along with hard tack. I have such fond memories of Christmas.
Love,
Aunt Genni

1 comment:

Jill said...

That is funny about the chocolate drops because I remember not liking them as a kid but now I buy them to put in my kids' stockings because I associate them with the holiday and have fond memories of getting them every year. Maybe the funniest part is that my kids don't like them either so now I end up eating theirs.