Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Saved by Marieta

Hello Dear Reader,
As Anne and I stood trying to make out the carvings on Eliza's headstone Marieta went to the trunk of her car. She walked back carrying archival paper, masking tape, and several colors of rubbing wax for us to choose from. She taught us how to apply the paper to the headstone and showed us how to rub the wax across the surface of the paper.

To our delight images began to appear and we were able to decipher what was written. A crown and a swagged curtain are at the top of the stone with these words written underneath: Eliza wife of Orren McNeill DIED Dec. 20, 1878, AGED 76 Yrs. 1. Mo. 21 Ds. She was a tender mother here, And in her life the Lord did fear. I will bring the rubbing back to Utah with me.
Love,
Aunt Genni

1 comment:

Jill said...

That's really cool. I would love to see it. Maybe you can take a picture of it to post. I hope you have a safe trip home. Love you.